Excelsior High School
137 Mountain View Avenue
Principal: Mr. Deanroy Bromfield
Mr. Deanroy Bromfield
Excelsior High School was the brainchild
of the visionary A.W. Powell who believed
that age, poverty, social class or skin color
should not be impediments to securing a formal education.
The school began it's existence on January 19,
1931 at 9 Hampton Street; Kingston, Jamaica W.I.
which was the residence of the parents of the
The school began as an infant school but before
the end of the first term Cambridge and Commercial
departments were added. Excelsior was a refuge
for many students who were turned away from the
traditional government Secondary Schools, because
they were too old to gain acceptance.
Hon. A. W. Powell-Founder
Excelsior's early reputation was forged on Cambridge
Examination successes, discipline and table tennis
victories. The attendant publicity which was garnered,
attracted pupils in large numbers,
which led to
the enduring problem of finding accommodations.
This led to a number of relocations, initially
to a specially built hall at 23 Hampton Street.
Due to burgeoning enrollment, the school was housed
at 18 North Street and overflowed to 16 North Street
(formerly the Hampton Court Hotel).
In order to accommodate students from the rural
area, boarding accommodations were extended to
girls at 7B Lissant Road, and to boys at 4 Central
Avenue. This increased the enrollment from 180
to over 600 in August 1945.
Excelsior continued to grow, and in 1938 thirty-five
acres, part of the Antrim property, were acquired
in anticipation of future development which was
delayed after the end of World War II in 1946.
The first seven buildings of the new campus were
constructed between 1947 and 1948 at the present
site at 137 Mountain View Avenue. This was facilitated
by a substantial loan, through the Bank of Nova
Scotia, which Mr. Powell was able to obtain.
The Antrim Campus was a realization of a dream
by Mr. Powell and successive groups of Excelsorians.
The move to Antrim, from North Street, was a monumental
achievement and marked a significant milestone
in the history of Excelsior and the Jamaica educational
system. The year 1951 also signaled another epochal
achievement for Excelsior, when the school ceased
to function as a private school and became a Government
Grant-Aided institution under the aegis of the
Ministry of Education. The school was adopted by
the Methodist Church and from then on the Church
has played a pivotal role in the life of the school.
Mr. Powell anticipated that a large number of
students, who were late bloomers, would benefit
from continuing education. As a consequence, a
second shift, the Extension School was established
for overage students who had not been granted a
place through the Common Entrance Examinations,
as well as those who had failed the GCE O'Level.
Mr. Powell always envisaged education as an ongoing
process - from the cradle to the grave - for anyone
who was willing to learn.
Excelsior Education Center was part of the vision of Mr. A. W. Powell whose dream transformed
Excelsior into a multifaceted Campus to provide
education for all from ages 3 to 100. This concept
had it's genesis in 1962 and was approved in 1968.
Between 1971 and 1977, the new concept spawned
the Pre-Primary and Primary Schools; the Community
College, Day and Evening Divisions were also established
during this period.
The Community College provides education for the
traditional 6th form and also include Business,
Teacher Training and Nursing, among other disciplines.
The Community College Evening offers continuing
education for mature students. The Day and Evening
Divisions, which were established more than 25
years ago, now come under one umbrella and is overseen
by a sole Principal.
In 1978 the Extension School was absorbed into
the High School, which then became a two shift
school. Excelsior has continued to educate generations
of Jamaicans for close to 75 years. These proud
graduates now occupy important positions in Jamaica
and throughout the world. EXED has continued to
grow and create new opportunities as the needs
are identified. The Institution plays an invaluable
role at the forefront of the Jamaican educational